Plays with Yarn

A place where I can ramble about all things knitterly.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Secret Pal 4 Questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I'm mostly a yarn snob. I much prefer natural fibers. I'm not a big fan of most Lion Brand stuff...I don't like Wool-Ease, and the novelty yarns they have I've found are actually more expensive than the yarn store versions, yard-for-yard. I'm a sucker for things that are soft and/or hand-dyed.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I sort of crochet. I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm considering taking spinning lessons at the LYS, but I'm concerned that it'll turn out to be an addiction and I'll drown in a sea of yarn and fiber *grin*

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I'm sensitive to a lot of perfumes and to smoke.

4. How long have you been knitting?
I've known how to knit for most of my life, but I've only been knitting actual stuff for a bit less than a year. Before that it was endless swatches out of Red Heart cotton.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yep, on Amazon, it's under himeykitty@hotmail.com

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Nothing too strong...I like citrusy, fruity stuff (my current shower gel is Body Shop satsuma), and also the sweet vanilla-cookie type stuff.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Lord yes. Chocolate is a weakness, the darker the better.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Everything else takes away from my knitting time ;-) I'm also a graduate student, so I'm lucky that I have time for one hobby.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like pretty much anything that isn't rap, hip-hop, or your typical Top 40 material. Favorites are classic rock, hard rock, country, and trance. I love MP3s. I own an iPod, and am currently attempting to talk myself out of buying a larger one.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Yellow! I also like dark reds, any shade of blue, and any color you could describe as a "bright pastel".

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have two roommates and their cat moving in this weekend, and my boyfriend is around on the weekends. I have a spoiled brat of a cat who for the most part, suprisingly enough, ignores my yarn. (Helps that I haven't used straight needles much lately, so the ends of those aren't waving around.)

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Graduate (someday) and somehow make a living out of craftiness. I'll start by writing knitting software for Macs :-)

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Anything soft. I like variegated/space-dyed stuff because I enjoy watching how the colors work up. I can't really pick a specific yarn though. Currently I'm lusting after the Knitpicks line.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'll try anything once, though I'm getting over the novelty yarn craze. There are good acrylics, there are bad wools. Depends on how it's made.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks. I have an obscene collection of sock yarn.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Anything that has more variety than miles of stockinette. I tend to enjoy knitting in the round because of my hatred of seaming.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Clapotis, a blanket for my cousin, a pair of mittens, and a pair of socks. I always have socks going...I take public transit, and they're nice and portable and help to pass the time. I'm mulling over the idea of swatching for a sweater soon.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
They look great on tall skinny people. I am most definitely not one of these people.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
After knitting a sweater on straights, I've decided that circs are better for my wrists. That was painful.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo. Though I'm in lust with my Denise interchangeables. I'd marry them if I could.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Oh yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

22. How did you learn to knit?
I *think* my grandmother taught me. It was so long ago, I don't even remember.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I have a Kidsilk Haze beaded scarf I started in April 2004.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Cats in general, Hello Kitty in specific-ness. I also like Funshine Bear and 80s cartoon kitschiness (think the T-shirts they sell at Hot Topic and Torrid).

25. What is your favorite holiday?
My birthday. No, just kidding. Though I think my birthday is during the SP period (end of March). I'm a big fan of Halloween.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
You mean besides yarn? Hello Kitty stuff, various tote bags (I keep buying different ones to "try out" as knitting bags), and books. That last addiction comes from pretty much being born and raised in a library.