Plays with Yarn

A place where I can ramble about all things knitterly.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

GO SOX!

I know, I know, Sox != knitting. I just had to get that out. I'm a rabid Red Sox fan, and just so excited that they're going to the World Series for the first time since I was 7. My grandfather must be thrilled. (And the fact that they beat the Yankees to do it....*blissful sigh*)

Anyway. Back to yarn-al pursuits. First off, the gift my Secret Pal sent me:

Mmm, Sockotta. And isn't that little sheepie the cutest?

I've actually been trying to teach myself how to crochet lately, and here is one of the fruits of that:

My very first granny square, made out of freaky colored Red Heart! (How the heck do you weave ends into crochet?) Go me! I totally want a granny square scarf.

My Powerbook continued to model for me, and here is my progress on DNA:

Alpaca is so very very soft. I did about half an inch on the ribbing last night, but I plan to get some good work on it in today

Since this picture, the glove has gained a thumb. Now to avoid SGS (Second Glove Syndrome):


I need a picture of Ruffles. It looks kind of cool in the variegated yarn.

I've been teaching my friend Amanda how to knit, and she's been doing so well! Her first practice swatch turned into a scarf of alternating bands of stockinette and reverse stockinette. She was wearing it last night, and I wanted to get a picture, but I was too distracted by the baseball game. She's working on ribbing now, and getting a little frustrated. Took me a while to get the hang of ribbing though too. She does really well at remembering to bring the yarn between the needles rather than over them, but she tends to lose count and doesn't really have the hang of recognizing her stitches. (Doesn't help that she's trying to use dark colored yarn...I might have to bring her something different.) It's so cute though...she's working on it every chance she gets. *squee*