Plays with Yarn

A place where I can ramble about all things knitterly.

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I went through my yarn stash last night, wrote down an inventory of all the yarn I have, and realized that I'm definitely making Christmas presents for people just to use a bunch of it up. Holy crap! I should go through it and figure out who would like what.

I made a lacy hat out of Cascade Yarns Fixation. I really enjoy working with this stuff. It's mostly cotton, with a bit of stretch to it, and you'd think with the extra stretch it would be hard to work with, but it's really not. You just have to make sure to keep your tension even. The colorway I used is a pale pastel rainbow, and it's nice. Very springy. It was an easy lace pattern too (yarn over, knit 2 together, repeat), so I got bored near the end. I want to make one in a more complicated lace, but I'll have to figure out the decrease pattern to blend in with the lace, as well as modify any lace pattern I find to work in the round, since most of them are written for flat knitting. BTW, I still hate double pointed needles, but they aren't as bad to finish something on as they are to start something on.

Kitty bed is going well. I'm probably a third of the way through the side of it, then comes the sewing. I should work on my sweater some more, I'll need it for the lab in the summer, since everyone here loves their AC.